The engine of innovation that’s constantly revving within the physical and virtual walls at Salesforce has been one of the worst-kept secrets in the industry over the past decade. As rare as it is, the output of innovation from Salesforce is actually a reliable presence. They have innovated, they are innovating, and they will continue to innovate. We see new products, tools, and features primarily through the three behemoth triannual releases a years that come along in Spring, Summer, and Winter.
It’s great to have innovation handed to us on a silver platter. However, the innovative process doesn’t end with the delivery of enhancements from Salesforce. What I really love about the platform is the ability for us “app builders” out there (admins, business analysts, developers, product manager, etc.) to inject additional creativity and innovation into the mix.
Enter Lightning. While most of the lightning conversation is still dominated by the question of classic vs. LEX and whether key “classic” features have been plugged into the new Lightning Experience for internal users, Lightning has created a framework that has opened up a world of possibilities for those of us building apps.
Over the past few months, I’ve had the fortune of being selected to speak at two amazing events (Force Academy LA and Boston World Tour) about a couple red-hot topics: Lightning Bolt (previously, Community Templates) and Process Builder. The beauty of the content being delivered, however, is that I was able to bring these two worlds together and show another platform area that is ripe for an explosion of further innovation.
Below, you’ll find a representation of my presentation in the form of an article. Enjoy!
A Powerful Spark: Combining Lightning Process Builder with a (Community) Lightning Bolt
- Lightning Bolt Overview
- Process Builder Overview
- Combining Bolt & Builder
Understanding Salesforce Communities
To understand Lightning Bolt, you first must understand Salesforce communities. Community Cloud combines the best of these three worlds:
Lightning Bolts = Community Templates
- Lightning Bolt is a feature available within Community Cloud
- “Bolt” is the new term for what was previously referred to as a “template”.
- Lightning Bolts can be created by anyone…including you!
- Lightning Bolts can be simple Community “shells” or involved, complex solutions.
What’s the Value in a Bolt?
- Templates were previously provided only by Salesforce. That is no longer the case!
- With Bolt, you can “pre-assemble” and “pre-configure” a new community
- As a Salesforce customer looking to quickly roll out a robust community, you can now select from a growing library of bolts to address a specific vertical or use case
- Anyone can install a Lightning Bolt (just get a dev org!)
What’s in a Bolt?
Building a Bolt
What Is Process Builder?
- Declarative (i.e., point-and-click) development tool that drives business process automation
- Not quite as powerful as Visual Workflow (“Flow”), but much quicker and easier to use
Process Builder Vs. Workflow
Process Builder is significantly more flexible than Workflow in terms of what can be automated
|Action||Available in Workflow?|
|Create a Record||Partial (Tasks only)|
|Post to Chatter||No|
|Submit for Approval||No|
|Update Records||Partial (same or parent record only)|
|Call a Process||No|
Process Builder for Service
Building a Process
Bolt + Process
Putting It All Together
Putting It All Together
Recap of the Overall Process
I hope this post was informative and useful. Please reach out if you have any questions or need help with your own Salesforce community!